10 things to buy your mum for Mother’s Day this year
No Comments | March 11,2019 | by Katie Spicer
Gift ideas to make sure her present is perfect
Finding inspiration for gift ideas for your mum on Mother’s Day can be difficult. If you are still not sure on what to buy after our list of ‘Top 8 tips for finding the best Mother’s Day present’, then this list of suggested presents will be perfect for you! We thought it would be helpful to give you our 10 ideas for gifts that you could get your mum, or even just use for some inspiration.
If your mum is truly traditional then what better way to tell her you love her than giving her a big bouquet of flowers. The most popular flowers people seem to enjoy vary from lilies, orchids, tulips and roses! But there’s no specific type of flower or arrangements for Mother’s Day, so you can choose anything you feel she might enjoy.
2. Bake her a cake
Everyone likes sweet things so we thought what better way to show how much you love your mum than with a great cake! It shouldn’t cost too much and cakes always taste so much better homemade. We chose chocolate because… who doesn’t like chocolate?
For the cake
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 350g/12½oz caster sugar
- 85g/3oz cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 free-range eggs
- 250ml/9fl oz milk
- 125ml/4½fl oz vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml/9fl oz boiling water
For the chocolate icing
- 200g/7oz plain chocolate
- 200ml/7fl oz double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line two 20cm/8in sandwich tins.
- For the cake, place all of the cake ingredients, except the boiling water, into a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, or electric whisk, beat the mixture until smooth and well combined.
- Add the boiling water to the mixture, a little at a time, until smooth. (The cake mixture will now be very liquid.)
- Divide the cake batter between the sandwich tins and bake in the oven for 25–35 minutes, or until the top is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely, still in their tins, before icing.
- For the chocolate icing, heat the chocolate and cream in a saucepan over a low heat until the chocolate melts. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk the mixture until smooth, glossy and thickened. Set aside to cool for 1–2 hours, or until thick enough to spread over the cake.
- To assemble the cake, run a round-bladed knife around the inside of the cake tins to loosen the cakes. Carefully remove the cakes from the tins.
- Spread a little chocolate icing over the top of one of the chocolate cakes, then carefully top with the other cake.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plate and ice the cake all over with the chocolate icing, using a palette knife.
Source: BBC Recipes
3. Take your mum out
It’s always nice to treat your mum and she’ll really appreciate not having to cook. There are endless possibilities but we feel like you can never go wrong with a traditional British afternoon tea! It oozes sophistication and class, whilst also being a very relaxed day out.
4. Breakfast in bed
It hardly costs anything but no matter what age you are, you will always appreciate breakfast in bed! We would suggest serving a fresh breakfast, cooked from scratch, as it’s guaranteed to always put a smile on anyone’s face. Sometimes the simplest things mean the most!
5. Make a picture scrapbook
It’s always nice to make something personal to her. You can try and get creative and make a book full of pictures of you and her. It’s guaranteed to make her smile (and maybe shed a few tears). It won’t cost a lot, and sometimes it isn’t all about the price. As long as you are putting thought into her present, it’s guaranteed to be appreciated by her!
6. Take her to get her nails done/spa day
Everyone likes to be pampered, especially when it’s a gift! You can always go for a day out together and have a spa day. You’ll both be so relaxed after you probably won’t even want to leave. If you look on the right websites/apps you are bound to get a good deal, so it doesn’t even need to be expensive! If you feel like you can’t commit to a full day, you can always get a quick manicure/pedicure and catch up on each other’s latest news.
7. Give her a day off so she can put her feet up
Everyone loves a rest day! Try and help her around the house, this could be anything from helping with the dishes, washing some clothes or even hoovering the house. She will definitely appreciate the help and will give her some time to herself to relax.
We all like to smell nice, so why don’t you try and find a smell that you think suits her. You can never have enough perfume!
Get her some nice candles so she can wind down and relax.
10. Give her a great cup of tea and enjoy it together
Everyone loves a good cup of tea! It doesn’t cost a lot and it allows both of you to talk without any distractions. You could even make her tea coupons, so that every time she feels like having a cup of tea, you can make it for her and enjoy it together.
We hope you enjoyed our top 10 ideas for Mother’s Day. We hope it makes it a tiny bit easier and stress free for you, so you can get the most perfect gift for her on that special day. Sometimes getting a few concepts from someone else can spark new thoughts that you weren’t thinking before.
We also have a range of items that we have carefully selected for mums that might help you as well, have a look here